Senior Software Engineer
£50,000 to £60,000
Senior Software Engineer – Chertsey / Portland – Permanent
The client is currently hiring in Chertsey, Surrey or Portland, Dorset. There will a split between remote working and going on site. This will be for some customer requirements meetings and to carry out test work.
The work will range from software development, system engineering, technical governance, and mentoring of a software design team. The work covers both the Maritime and Land domains.
* Software design, development and review (from concept to final product) for a range of systems from small embedded single processors through to multi-processor networked systems.
* Work with systems and hardware engineers to develop multi-discipline solutions, including the definition of software-hardware and software-firmware interfaces.
* Undertake design activities at both the equipment and system levels
* Meeting technical requirements through all phases of design, integration and leading to customer acceptance
* Technical governance of a portfolio of projects by acting as Design Authority or independent reviewer as appropriate.
* Undertake the duties of the Software lead where additional support may be required on projects, bids and product development activities.
* Make decisions on the suitability of engineering design solutions
* Liaise and co-operate with the Project Managers and Design Authorities to resolve technical, project or resource problems and conflicts.
* Provision of software mentoring across project personnel
* Supporting the research and development of products within the Company, improving engineering quality, efficiency and cost.
* Participate in project reviews and support presentations at relevant Design Review Meetings
* Support to the business development team and preparation of technical proposals when required and be able to handle sensitive information in the course of your work.
Qualifications and Skills:
* In-depth knowledge and experience in all aspects of software design and development.
* Degree level educated in a related engineering discipline
* Strong C++
* Experience on a Linux platform
* Java & NetBeans would be desirable
* Can evaluate, mitigate and manage engineering risks across projects for which you will be directly/indirectly responsible.
* Chartered member of a professional institution or working towards Chartered status would be desirable
* Have a high level of both verbal and written communication skills providing regular communication to internal and external stakeholders, customers and suppliers
* Be able to manage, motivate and develop engineering employees to ensure they fulfil their roles and meet targets within agreed timelines and standards of quality
* Excellent written and oral communications
* Ability to present complex ideas to all levels of the customer community and both internal and external Stakeholders
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-site team
* Innovative and creative thinking
* Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short periods of detached duty where necessary.
*Please note, this is a UK eyes only project*
stream is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.