Principal Democratic Services Officer
Principal Democratic Services Officer – Wirral – 3 Month Contract – £22ph Umbrella (Inside IR35)
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Democratic Services Officer to join the team of a public sector organisation based in Wirral.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
* Leading a team of colleagues in providing professional effective administrative support to Council Meeting and allocated Committees including the drafting and publication of agenda’s, attendance and minuting of meetings, development of work programmes, implementation of decisions and to manage all associated Committee work.
* Leading on specific democratic and scrutiny projects to ensure the continuous improvement of service and proactively lead on those areas of work allocated by the Head of Democratic and Member Services.
* Lead on member and civic/mayoral related functions ensuring that all civic events such as Annual Council and Remembrance Sunday are organised effectively and that the Mayor is fully supported in undertaking his/her duties.
* The management and co-ordination of Admission and Exclusion Appeals; exploring opportunities for growth and further income generation.
* Lead on Modern.Gov, report management and webcasting ensuring that colleagues managing Council, Committee and decision making are fully supported ; promote the use of report management throughout the wider Council ensuring that all relevant staff are trained ; ensure that the Council is following best practice and explore opportunities to best promote clear and transparent decision making.
* To support the Electoral Services Team by providing advice, support and project management assistance in relation to elections, referenda and electoral registration.
* Represent the Head of Democratic and Members Services in his/her absence or when required providing managerial support when called upon and assisting in providing strategic direction and continued service improvements, including the development of and maintenance of effective links with other Council Services and external partners.
To be suitable for this opportunity; the following qualifications or experience is required:
* Awareness of current local government issues.
* Knowledge and experience of local government law and procedures and the role of Members and the conduct of meetings.
* Have detailed knowledge of the law and procedure relating to local authority Committee democratic processes.
* Experience of local authority Committee administration.
* Demonstrable experience of advising officers and elected members on Standing Orders, the law and procedure relating to Committee administration.
* Experience of drafting minutes, formal letters and/or other similar communications.
* Experience of collating and organising large numbers of documents.
* Experience of dealing and working with Councillors and senior Council officers.
* Experience of the Council’s decision-making processes and procedures.
For further information and to apply then please contact Deanna at STR on 02392322381 and email a copy of your most recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org