A client of ours in Central London is looking for a Planning Officer to join their team for a period of 8 months, the nature of the duties will vary according to the postholder’s level of qualification, experience and grading.
The postholder will work within either:
* an area planning team dealing principally with planning applications and appeals
* a special projects team dealing principally with complex planning applications and appeals
* an enforcement team also dealing with related planning applications.
From time to time officers may be required to take on any responsibilities within the job description according to the nature of the development management workload, or work for temporary periods in another team.
All planning officers may be expected to undertake work related to discussions at a pre-application stage and the preparation of planning/development briefs.
To contribute to the provision of a high quality, effective and efficient development management and planning service, and to have full regard to the objectives of the whole planning service and in carrying out the responsibilities of the post.
* To investigate and report on applications for planning permission and all other consents and certificates under the Planning Acts, as directed, and to liaise with other Teams, Divisions, and departments as appropriate.
* To deal personally with planning applications (and pre-application discussions), appeals and enforcement cases; and, in relation to these to represent the division at public and other meetings, as appropriate to the grade held.
* To discuss or negotiate directly with applicants and third parties on planning applications and related matters and carry out all necessary site inspections.
* To prepare written reports and recommendations for clearance by Senior Officers for submission to the appropriate committees or to the appropriate Team Leader or Head of Service for decision under delegated powers.
* To evaluate proposals, examine relevant plans and by surveying and taking measurements on site, ensure works are in accordance with approved drawings.
* To draft planning and development briefs and/or sketch schemes for public or private sector developments, development management policy guidelines and statements liaising with other groups, divisions and departments as appropriate.
* To prepare statements and other related documentation in respect of appeals: (i) to be dealt with by means of written representations; (ii) to be the subject of an informal hearing or a public local inquiry at which evidence will be presented by the postholder; and, to prepare and present evidence at informal hearings, public local inquiries and Court proceedings; and, to attend Inspector’s site visits.
* To prepare Article 4 Directions and Tree Preservation Orders and contribute to the preparation of develop control advisory leaflets, as required.
* To investigate possible breaches of planning control; to advise and consult with persons aggrieved by unauthorised development of planning powers to control development; and, to negotiate with those persons and/or their professional advisers who have carried out unauthorised development on ways of regulating the situation.
* To attend meetings of the Planning Applicatio